Dr Daniel Robinson has worked for several years on environmental, social and legal issues relating to biodiversity, traditional knowledge and life science innovation, particularly in Thailand, the Pacific and Australia. Dr Robinson is currently a Senior Lecturer at the Institute of Environmental Studies, the University of New South Wales (UNSW). He is a Research Fellow with the International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development (ICTSD) in Geneva, and a Research Associate with the NGO Natural Justice. He has provided research towards projects for a number of organisations including UNDP, ICTSD-UNCTAD, the Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat, UNESCO, UNDP-GEF, Union for Ethical BioTrade (UEBT), AusAID and GIZ. He has published a number of papers on ABS, traditional knowledge, IP and development, customary law and traditional medicines. Daniel has a PhD on ‘Biodiversity-Related Traditional Knowledge in Thailand: Intellectual Property Relations and Geographies of Knowledge Regulation’ from the University of Sydney, as well as a diploma in environmental law and an honours degree in environmental science from UNSW.
Selected Recent Publications
- Biodiversity, Access and Benefit-Sharing: Global Case Studies (Routledge/Earthscan, Oxon 2015).
- ‘“You can’t change our ancestors without our permission”: Cultural Perspectives on Biopiracy’ in Fredrikksson, M. and Arvanitakis, J. (eds) Piracy – Leakages of Modernity (Litwin Books, Sacramento CA 2014) (with Drozdzewski, D. and Kiddell, L.).
- ‘Legal Geographies of Intellectual Property, ‘Traditional’ Knowledge and Biodiversity: Experiencing Conventions, Laws, Customary Law, and Karma in Thailand’ (2013) 51(4), Geographical Research, 375–386.
- ‘Towards a People’s History of the Law: Biocultural Jurisprudence and the Nagoya Protocol on Access and Benefit Sharing’ (2011) 7/1, Law, Environment and Development Journal, 35 (with Bavikatte, K.).
- ‘Governing Knowledge: Discourses and Tactics of the European Union in Trade-Related Intellectual Property Negotiations’ (2011) 43(5), Antipode: a radical journal of Geography, 1883-1910 (with Gibson, C.).
- Confronting Biopiracy: Cases, Challenges and International Debates (Routledge/Earthscan, Oxon 2010).
For a more complete list of publications, click here.